Churches and Memorial Places

Alūksne St.Boniface Roman Catholic church

Alūksne St.Boniface Roman Catholic church is the newest church in Alūksne. It was consecrated in 2001. The architect, A.Krusts, has designed the building to fit it successfully in the surroundings. The church resembles a living house with a little tower and a cross on its top.

Alūksne St.Trinity Orthodox church

The parish of the Orthodox church started its activities in the middle of the 19th century. In 1895 an eclecticism style church was constructed in Alūksne . The interior of the church was made according to the traditions of the Orthodox church. The altar part of the church is decorated with a two-level iconostasis and small side altars with the icons made at the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, and the images of saints.

Alūksne Evangelical Lutheran church

Built during the times of German Baron Otto Herman von Vietinghoff between 1781 and 1788, under the supervision of Riga architect, Christoph Haberland, the church is one of the most beautiful in Latvia due to its architecture. The height of its tower is 55.5 metres. One of the most characteristic traits of the church is its original colourful pattern of carved boulders. The altar painting of the church "The baptism of Jesus" was renovated in 2000. In 2006, the renovation of the organ constructed by the famous organ master, August Martin, was completed.

Veclaicene Orthodox church

The Virgin Shelter Orthodox church in Veclaicene was built in 1892. The patron of the church is St.John of Kronstadt. The building made of boulders and red bricks has survived the wars.

Opekalns church

Opekalns church is geographically the highest existing church in Latvia - 235 metres above the sea level. Jaunlaicene Baron fon Volf built the Opekalns church (1774 – 1779) in the territory of his estate. The visitors can enjoy the beautiful views from the church tower (23 m high), the peace of the church hill, the stories about the ancient times, the jokes and the legends. The church is a national culture monument. There are three national monuments of art in the church - the altar, the organ and the pulpit. In 1999 the church received the Flag of the European Culture Heritage.

Ķurši church

When The Republic of Latvia was proclaimed in 1918, the state border was outlined. Till 1917 the state power in the region belonged to Tsarist Russia and was included in the territories of Pskov and Vitebsk provinces. The border made changes also in the lives of the local parish people. Until that time the church and the cemetery was located in the territory that nowadays belongs to Russia - Lauri rural district, but the border stopped the free movement of people. Lauri remained on the Estonia side therefore many people whose leader was the priest Kaliberskis decided to build a new church. The new church was consecrated on September 27, 1927. There was a cemetery made next to it. Ķurši St.Prophet Elijah church performed its functions also during the soviet time.

Liepna Prophet Elijah Orthodox church

In 1866 the Franciskpole Catholic wooden chapel was given over to the orthodox and it was changed into the orthodox church. From 1884 till 1885 in Liepna there was a new orthodox church built. The former Franciskopole church according to the order of the government in 1920 was given to the catholic parish. Liepna Orthodox church was destroyed by fire during World war II. After the war there was a church put up in Liepna. It was built in 1896 and transported to Liepna from Mālupe.

Liepna Evangelical Lutheran Church

The church was built of boulders between 1935 and 1937. Originally the church had a 6 metres high tower. During World War II (Liepna fights) it was destroyed, but in the summer of 2005 it was renovated in its initial height. The windows are under the reconstruction to make a sightseeing platform with the view over Liepna. Liepna Evangelical Lutheran church is a national architectural monument with several national art monuments - the altar, the pulpit and the benches (the 1930s).

Alūksne Big cemetery

The cemetery is located in the Cemetery peninsula on the shore of Lake Alūksne, and it is one of the biggest and most ancient in Latvia. It was formed during the years of the Great Northern War. Each year on the first Sunday of August there is the Memorial Day celebrated which is visited by a lot of people.

Finnish warriors cemetery

It is the graveyard of the Finnish warriors who were killed during the Latvian War of Independence (1918-1920). It is a memorial site of nine Finnish warriors killed in Beja Battle in 1919. The place is included in the tourism route of Finnish people.

The memorial stone in the place of the family house of the painter, Leo Kokle

Jaunalūksne rural district, Visikums, an old estate servants' house "Dambīši” was the place where the painter, Loe Kokle, was born.

The monument to warriors of the 7th Sigulda Infantry Regiment

Near the army barracks, in 1923, there was a monument unveiled in honour of the warriors of the 7th Sigulda Infantry regiment. The monument was renovated in 2009 and on October 16 of the same year it was unveiled by the ex-president of the Republic of Latvia, Valdis Zatlers.

Aeolus Temple

The temple is one of the oldest architectural monuments in the park built in the second part of the 18th century and devoted to the Greek god of winds, Aeolus. The dome of the temple is decorated with a golden circle symbolizing the face of the sun therefore this temple is also called the Sun Temple. Once there were four harps attached inside the dome which made sounds in the wind.

Granite Obelisk

In 1799 Burhard von Vietinghoff ordered to build an obelisk in hounour of his father. On its pedestal a marble plate was fastened with the inscription in German "To the best father, the friend of the people from the grateful son". There was also an oval portrait medallion of the father in a form of a moulding on this obelisk.Nowadays only the obelisk has remained, as well as two granite benches which created a united composition with the obelisk.

ALEXANDER PAVILION

The Pavilion is also known as the Tea or Coffee Pavilion, as the barons’ family loved to drink their morning tea there. It was built at the end of the 18th century and received its name in the honour of the visit of Tsar Alexander I to Aluksne. Another version is that the Pavilion was constructed in the honour of the birth of Baron von Vietinghoff's son.

Mausoleum

It was built in 1831 as the vault of the Vietinghoff Family. The building clearly reflects the features of the beginning of the Empire style decline. Its dome in the interior symbolizes the sky. Under the mausoleum floor, in the basement rooms there was the barons’ family crypt.

ĀDOLFS LIEPASKALNS MEMORIAL STONE

The memorial stone (the sculptor - A.Zelčs) was placed in the area where the world record-holder in distance walking, Ādolfs Liepaskalns (1910-1972), had lived and trained.

The memorial stone to Alvils Buholcs, the Doctor of Engineering, the Professor of Photogrammetry and Geodesy

The memorial stone to Alvils Buholcs in the place of his family house „Asteri” where he lived between 1880 and 1922. The lane of lindens planted by the professor leads to the memorial stone - the former house place.

JAUNLAICENE BARONS' CEMETERY AND CHAPEL

In 1814, J.G.Wolf received the Vidzeme consitory permission to form a new family graveyard. It was planned to make the same size graves with a similar plate next to each one and with an only cross in the middle of the row of the low graves. Between 1859 and 1865, there was a chapel built according to the project of the architect, Paul fon Hardenak. It looked like a small Gothic church - a duty to the those days obsession with luxury. There was a marble altar, an organ, stained glass windows, in the gallery there was an oak-tree chest with the emblem of the Volf Family to keep the funeral covers in it. So in the second half of that century the patriarchal, respectable and conservative Jaunlaicene got something from the neo-Gothic style decorations - the family chapel.
loading