Alūksne Evangelical Lutheran Church
Built during the times of German Baron Otto Herman von Vietinghoff between 1781 and 1788, under the supervision of Riga architect, Christoph Haberland, the church is one of the most beautiful in Latvia due to its architecture. Selected location, near the lake, was swampy. Therefore, two thousand oak piles were used for the foundations of the church. The height of its tower is 55.5 metres. One of the most characteristic traits of the church is its original colourful pattern of carved boulders. The altar painting of the church “The baptism of Jesus” was renovated in 2000. In 2006, the renovation of the organ constructed by the famous organ master, August Martin, was completed.
Visit must be booked in advance.